Sunday 21 March 2010

Nice Cream

So I've finally plucked up the courage to make use of the Ice Cream Machine I bought myself Last Christmas. A patisserie course last year was the inspiration as the ice cream was the simplest dessert we made in the entire two days that I sweated through the intricacies of sugar work, tartes au fruits and royal icing.

After a long cold winter, the sun finally came out and I knew it was time. Some research on the web suggested that I should have bought a Ben and Jerry's cookbook but the wonder of the web is that as long as you don't lose your connection you have access to more culinary advice than you will ever need.

Inevitably, the internet connection disappeared into the digital ether like a feather light sorbet and I was left with the flimsy leaflet of suggestions that came with the machine.

I kept it simple and decided to try a plain vanilla ice cream with a custard base. Whisk egg yolks and sugar, add warmed milk with vanilla essence and gently heat until it thickens. Let it cool, pop it into the machine and drop into a hypnotic state as you watch the paddles turn.

15 minutes later, a thick rich, chilled, creamy nirvana emerged and I was inspired. This is easy, you know exactly what goes in, the ingredients cost half that of a premium ice cream and you can make your own as easily as you make a pot of fresh custard. The only hard part is getting it to the freezer before it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment