Thursday 30 September 2010

Earning a crust


France just gets some things right in life. Whilst the only sane response to the aggressive driving, strikes and bureaucracy is a large dose of patience, the law that prevents a Boulangerie being so named without a baker onsite is a boon. In this one, I had a wonderful conversation explaining that my desired bread was lurking in the back but it was illegal to sell it to me after the day it was baked. Instead I received an offer to bake my chosen brown wholemeal loaf to order the next morning. Perfectly crisp crusts, croissants so butter rich they seem to melt in your hands before they even reach your mouth. Glass counters laden with tartes, tortes and gateaux of every kind. This must be why the inhabitants look so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment